Damn Good Biking

Damn Good Biking
Mammath Mountain

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Its begining to feel a lot like a wayfarer's christmas!!!

Greetings all wayfarer's, especially those near Kansas City

I'm almost home, needless to say, totally excited to be coming home after such a brief but intense trip around California and Baja Mexico.

One step forward, one step back, but eventually a kid always finds himself back home right?

A new mandolin has been ordered and is waiting for me at my moms, thanks to the help of some very nice people, I am utterly grateful for their help, and love you all.

My first day of arriving to Berkeley I walked about 6-7 miles round trip to play mandolins at a music store. One of the people working was a local singer-song writer and he sat down to play with me, we shared an exchange of songs, his much better, Man my tail was waging! I was just stoked to play again. For what its worth, I held my own, well however much someone can with 2-1/2 years of experience compared to his 15-20.

I've said it many times, I can be stranded anywhere with no id's, money, or home and be fine, but I start stressing when I don't have a mandolin to sing the blues, or highlight the good times. No bueno!!

For the last couple weeks I've only had one harmonica in the key of Bminor, boo!

Yesterday the boss and I caught a meeting between innings at the big league ball field of California agriculture. Salinas.
Salinas Kansas?
No silly billy's Salinas California!

Imagine a place that feeds a large portion of the United States as well as pockets of the world, but ultimately doesn't feed its own population.

How is this possible? Its like living next to a well, but never being allowed to take a drink.

Disparities in our culture force me to consider what my villagers back in Niger would think about this absurdity.

If there is food, the community prospers, kids study and go to school, mothers watch their families grow, and fathers are proud to provide for their own tribe.

Imagine that.

Aside from this paradox, it was wonderful to crash a meeting with some of state and national leaders in Agriculture. Similar to jamming with a pro' at the music store, the tail was wagging. It is really gratifying to be able to rip off a good riff or pop a good question or opportunity arises.

At this point I feel to be exactly where I should be, I am a geek about agriculture, history, and I don't know social Darwinism, and the thought of being in a place that will someday be compared with the ancient Aztec floating gardens that essentially supported the entire empire from farmers. (Xochimilico MX, so been there) Yet members of its community starve, this deeply perplexes me .

Or how about the fertile crescent, which was known to feed a lion's share of the masses during that period in history, pretty much all of the known world. Nothing big.

What's my part? Who knows of any, and we'll wait and see how it will play out, but hopefully I'm connecting with the folk in this historical region as well as others to help make possible the means for the next generation of farmers able to feed our communities .

Again, here I am back in Berkeley, a hiccup of humanity, a pleasant reshuffling of the masses through a interconnected diaspora that has swept the modern world.

Yesterday, the boss and I went to eat at a Indian-Pakistan resteraunt…..yes I typed it right.

Imagine that, maybe there is hope in humanity, what does it say about our species ability to put aside their differences. Especially in these times when the atrocities of the recent Mumbai attacks is the irritant beneath escalating tensions between the two States.

Not only did both parties agree to the horror of this event, but they came to together as neighbors, and met on a common ground. The dinner table.

Do you see the peace and strength in this?

I'm almost home, sit tight, and see you all soon.

Allah Kiraye!

No comments: